08 September 2010

Quote of the Day





Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth - JFK


This quote says a lot to me. A lot of people want to conform or fit into a box. They strive to be a part of something, a group. Conformity reminds me of "group think", going along to get along. Society puts pressures on people to fit into a particular mold. Eventually we begin to label ourselves. Your the nerd, the jock, the preppy kid, the goth, the skater, the burn out, the artsy kid, whatever. Most of these pre-conceived labels actually stick with people throughout their lifetime. In reality, most people don't fit into a mold. No one really does. It is told to us this is our character or role in life and we attempt to me that standard. I never fit into one mold or character at any point in my life. To this day I still don't. I like to consider myself a "well rounded person", as my mother would say. I am a little bit of everything, which is why I never fit into school cliques. I had to get to a point with myself that I was okay with the fact that I didn't fit in and wouldn't look down upon myself because I didn't.


If we all conform to the standards and guidelines set before us, we will never grow. We will never think outside of the box. We may never even realize there is a box. For any ripple to occur that disrupts the flow of things there has to be at least one person who decided that they are not willing to conform. The more people that are willing to realize the box and step outside the stronger our society will become. Only your views matter. Not your parents, nor your friends, nor your teachers... Just yours. Don't conform.

1 comment:

  1. great quote said by a great man! and you're absolutely right. everyone should try to determine their own path and what works for them. although, sometimes, that's easier said than done

    missdeeplyrooted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I want to know how you feel... Please leave a comment.

xoxo
Krishana