20 July 2010

A Little Afro History

Today I went home to Baltimore which houses the headquarters for the Afro-American Newspaper. I got to see their archive room. It was probably hands down the best experience I have ever had in my life. They have boxes and boxes full of civil rights memorabilia and well as pictures of THE MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (yes, I had to add my plug). So here are some cool pictures I took of stuff.


We can never progress if we don't know where we've come from.


Old archive papers


The founder John H. Murphy Sr. of the Afro with his sons.... The original building. He brought the paper for $200.


This is OLDSCHOOL!!


John H. Murphy got  boat named after him. This is the clock on the front.


#ImJustSaying


This isn't your normal QWERTY keyboard.


Picture plates


A really old picture plate


Afro pushes for Civil Rights






Former cartoonist for the Afro Thomas Allen Stockett. He worked in all of their political cartoons. R.I.P









Thomas Stockett's memorial desk. He has a T-Square. See Poly taught me something.



Imagine if we still wrote our stories like this. These typewriters printed on metal plates for print and reached over 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 


More archive boxes


A old school hair ad


Ad

And last but not least. The Afro has a whole file cabinet full of pictures from Morgan State University. 
Apparently there really is nothing like a Morgan girl =)



1 comment:

  1. First I would like to thank you for posting about my father the late Thomas Stockett. But also I think that it would be a grand idea to collect those vintage photos of Morgan and create a book. I am quite sure that it will do very well. Because it will bring back memories for the Morgan alumni's while creating memories for the new students.

    ReplyDelete

I want to know how you feel... Please leave a comment.

xoxo
Krishana