12 May 2010

R.I.P Songstress Lena Horne





"It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it."- Lena Horne

One of my friends sends out "Good Morning" mass texts messages with a quote every morning. Although some people find it annoying, her messages actually brighten my day, especially when the quote applies to my life at the moment. It was especially nice to see that she quoted Lena Horne who passes away earlier this week. I have yet to write a post on her because I have been so busy so i decided to take some time out and do it now.

Lena Horne passed on May 9th, 2010 in a local New York hospital. The vibrant and passionate singer was 92 years old at her passing. She is most noted for songs like "Stormy Weather" one of my favorites. Along with writing, she also became involved in politics and she was one of the celebrities who attended the 1963 march on Washington, D.C. where Dr. Martin Luther King recited his famous "I Have A Dream" speech. Lena Horne paved a way for African Americans in music. Lena Horne was a soulful singer, always dolled up and timelessly classy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to know how you feel... Please leave a comment.

xoxo
Krishana